HomeMy StoryRecipes

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

an old and a new?


 Move It Momma Bean Enchiladas
You'll Need:
1 can black beans-drained and rinsed
1 can refried beans
2 cans Healthy Request cream of chicken soup
1 can Rotel
Mission Carb Balance Tortillas or corn tortillas
2% shredded cheese
1/4 pkg. low sodium taco seasoning
Mix black beans, refried beans and 1/4 pkg taco seasoning together, set aside.
Mix cream of chicken and Rotel, set aside.
Layer tortilla with bean mixture, then 2% cheese, roll up and layer in 13x9 pyrex.
Top tortillas with extra shredded cheese, then Rotel mixture!
Bake at 350 for about 30-40 minutes, until bubbly :)

I created this recipe a few years ago and it is a HUGE family favorite! This time I made half corn/half carb balance...boys enjoyed these both ways, but I liked these 
Mission Corn and Whole Wheat blend for a different flavor!  
They are really good! Have you seen them in your grocery store?  
They have 3 or 4 different flavors so I'd eventually like to try them all.  

As far as workouts, I'm going strong 7 days a week...I feel like I'm stuck in a workout rut-wishing for something amazing to happen or for me to find some incredible workouts to change it up.  
I love running.  I love getting out there, setting a goal and reaching it.  I love the feeling after a good run at a great pace(for me) and getting my sweat on!  woohoo! 

HOWEVER, I am ready for a little workout mix up!  To shake things up a bit so I'll let ya know when I find what I'm looking for...


...and now for something to think about,

TO LEAD BY EXAMPLE
None of us are perfect.  
When it comes to your children and your family, lead by example.  
Don't tell them to be active or to do well at soccer, football or baseball practice while you sit there munching on a bag of chips.  
SHOW them what being active looks like as a parent.  Put on your running or walking shoes and take a few laps while they're practicing.  
Walk the dog as a family.  
Go to the park and instead of sitting on your cell phone walk around, play catch or shoot some hoops!  
Your kids will LOVE being active with you.  Trust me!  
While teaching Physical Education, I listened to my students as they complained about their house being full of junk food.  The pantry spilling over with cookies and Doritos.  They'd be upset that everyone in their home would immediately run to an electronic device after school.  I listened as they told me they wanted so badly for their Mom or Dad to take them on a bike ride or to the local park.  
Believe it or not, all of our children WANT to be healthy.  They want to know what's good for them and what is not.  They would be so excited to show me their "GO" or "healthy food" that they tried or was packed in their lunch that day.
The overweight and obese children are especially craving to learn about ways to become healthier or be active with someone and not alone.  Don't make them struggle ALONE.  Be their inspiration or their guide.  Let them feel that they are not in it alone.  

We are ALL busy.  
We all have many things that we juggle in a day whether it be work, school, cooking, cleaning, taxi service(how most of us feel with children), or ALL OF THE ABOVE.  
The important thing is to make time.  We make time for flash cards and homework, why not make time to focus on taking care of them physically and mentally through exercise and diet.  It makes a difference in each child.  I was fascinated by statistics in my studies on health and physical education and since I graduated from college, the stats have only increased...in a negative, more frightening way.  
Start small and commit to once or twice a week-  
Turn Family Game Night into a game of baseball in your backyard!  
Make a healthy meal as a family.  My boys love to help me in the kitchen when I'm trying a new and healthy recipe 
Take 30-45 minutes and dedicate that to physical activity.  
-The Move It Momma

How do you LEAD BY EXAMPLE in your day to day life?
Have you tried the new Mission Artisan tortillas?  Mmm, you're missing out :)


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I need to try those tortillas! I have not been feeling stuck in a work out rut lately, I have been doing tons of running and loving it! What helps me is committing to a weekly mileage goal and then I am able to run each day as I see fit, usually not less than 5 miles at a time. If I feel like I am dreading a long run, I make all my weekly runs a little longer. I let myself run as fast or slow as I want. It's been working well. I do need to do some strength training though, I just did a strength class at the gym at work and am so sore!!