HomeMy StoryRecipes

Thursday, September 17, 2015

a walk down memory lane...

As I was going through old pictures, I came across my yearbook and it took me back...

My senior year of high school I was voted "Most Unforgettable" by my fellow classmates, here's my picture:
Most of you know I was BIG AL, the alligator mascot for my high school senior year so this photo was right next to my "acceptance speech" HA!! aka: advice and what I'd like to do after high school which read, "Marissa plans to attend SFA University to and major in communications/journalism then pursue a career in advertising. Her advice is to do well in school, but always have FUN because these are some of the greatest times of your life."


Fast forward a bit to college graduation...
Things went a little differently than I thought.  Graduated from SHSU with a BS degree in Exercise Physiology/Health Education and BA in Journalism. 
Back track to when I was about 70lbs. heavier (70lbs lighter in this pic!)-weight I had put on in the college years, which were some of the best years of my life, full of memories and great times but also where I was the UNhealthiest I had ever been.  When you look at the picture below, you'll notice my weight loss journey had started but was FAR from over...



Wow...things have changed since high school with my dreams of a career in advertising.  I'm married to the man of my dreams and my best friend, who has also lost almost 100lbs, we have two, gorgeous boys and well, my life is NOTHING like I imagined...


I'm 100lbs lighter, fitter, healthier and smarter!  I've lived a life full of joy, pain, happiness and defeats, I have completely transformed from the girl I once was into the strong woman I am today...and those dreams of working in advertising?  Well they were pushed aside when I decided to work on helping women and families BE HEALTHY!  Those dreams came to me after living years of yo-yo dieting, feeling awkward and chubby, hating exercise yet loving life so I finally figured out how to love life AND be healthy...and all of a sudden, my life took a completely different turn.  What's strange is that I had the knowledge of healthy living before I took my own advice, as you can clearly see in my college graduation picture...eeek!  

My husband and I are no longer that unhealthy couple that centered things around food but rather we are that couple that centers life around living, loving and RUNNING!  Look at all those bibs and medals!!!  WE did that together and it's proof that life takes unexpected turns and bumps but ALL of those bumps and curves lead you to where you are meant to be!  
I'm living proof of that...

The joy and fulfillment I get from sharing MY story and OUR journey together with these woman far exceeds all hopes and dreams I had for myself and my career as I was growing up...I'm amazed that I have been led to these women and that I am able to HELP people as my career...although I won't get rich from it, it gives me more happiness than any money ever could.  And these days I want to be "Most Unforgettable" to these women for helping change the path of their lives...our lives, together!!!  

No comments: