HomeMy StoryRecipes

Friday, April 26, 2013

eat with or without the guilt?

a long time ago I wouldn't answered this question very differently 
What about you?  
Do you often feel guilty after you eat?  
Or do you put time, energy and thought into your foods that fuel and nourish your body?   

My former self would have said, with guilt.  I leaned on food because it was always there.   
I believe that I had an addiction to that sense of fulfillment through food...a very false sense.  That feeling of guilt that followed each unhealthy meal, instead of pushing me to make healthier choices, caused me to become compulsive with my foods.  I wanted more, and more...and more.  

Today I would say much differently.  
I am a MUCH different person, but I still use my former self to help me reflect and appreciate the journey...to appreciate this race with no finish line!  
I don't feel guilty because it's GOOD foods that I put into my body.  
I fuel my body and although sometimes those cravings come creeping back in, I strive to fight it most of the time.  
I lacked balance for so long.  I'd take all of my eating to the extreme.  While some can tolerate a slice of bread, I wanted half the loaf :(

I don't mind sharing my struggles because in a way, I hope it helps you see that we're all alike.  
All trying to do our best, be healthy and sometimes that means showing our not-so-perfect side...
The choice is ours to make.  
Each day we have a choice.  
We can chose to be healthy or we can choose instant gratification.  
If you are dealing with some of my past struggles, break the cycle.  
Set yourself free from that feeling.  It can be SO much better.  


As for me, I have found a love for healthy, clean eating and creating recipes that I am able to share with all of you!  I feel so happy when I hear of a family member or friend using my recipes with their family.  :)  
**I will be updating my "recipe" section frequently so that you are able to access all of these meals quickly!  I have tried to make it user-friendly so please tell me what I can do to make it even easier!  


Today's eats all rolled into one...
TOP LEFT: plain Chobani Greek yogurt, frozen blueberries, blackberries and a 1/4 c Special K protein cereal for a little crunch!
TOP RIGHT: mixed greens, green beans, peas, chick peas, sprinkle of sunflower seeds and Craisins- I used extra virgin olive oil and red wine vinegar for dressing.
BOTTOM LEFT: Apple sliced with plain Chobani Greek yogurt mixed with cinnamon-lots of cinnamon and a 1/2 scoop vanilla Designer Whey protein powder!  OH MY YUMMY!!!  
BOTTOM RIGHT: PIZZA!  low carb/high fiber tortilla topped with tomato, flaxseed meal, veggies-green beans, carrots, zucchini, edamame, broccoli and cauliflower, low fat cheese.  Bake at 375 for 30 minutes until the tortilla gets nice and crispy.  I even sliced it into small slices and it was SO good!  Seriously, one of the best meals I created and it only took about 5 minutes to prepare!
*Not pictured-I also had a post-workout Evolve by Muscle Milk vanilla protein drink.  They are so yummy and felt like I needed it after my interval workout and then working upper and lower body!


Broccoli Bites!
These were inspired by a Pinterest pin that I "pinned" a while back.  
I decided to change them up just a bit for added nutrition!
 You'll Need:
4 cups broccoli-steamed and chopped.  I used fresh.
3 eggs
1/2 c low fat cheddar cheese
4 tbs flaxseed meal
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs with a little whole wheat breadcrumbs mixed in.  I filled measuring cup about 3/4 full and then topped with the whole wheat breadcrumbs.  

 Combine above ingredients until mixed well and can form into patties.  I formed smaller patties and lightly formed them, keeping them nice and moist.  Spread onto baking sheet and Bake at 400 for 25 minutes, flipping half way.  
I actually allowed them to bake about 5-10 extra minutes for extra crispiness.

This is how they'll look once cooked!  
 I served these with grilled chicken and green beans.  So good!  My boys ate them up and my oldest son dipped them in ketchup!  GROSS!

I prepare these meals ahead of time so I stay focused, but this one was too good not to share.  I took our already prepared grilled chicken, sliced into strips, steamed 1/2 cup brown rice and warmed a little of the green beans left from the night before.  There's a perfectly portioned lunch that's colorful and tastes great.  It was like eating a microwavable dinner without the added sodium and other hard-to-pronounce ingredients :)  It can be this easy folks!
The best part is that all of these meals can be prepared in ADVANCE.  They will save time, energy, money, and the frustrations of healthy eating.  If you are prepared, you will not fail at this. 

The important part is to TRY.  To MOVE.  To put yourself and your health as a priority.
You will never know your own strength until you do.  

2 comments:

Gwen said...

Hmmm, I think I eat healthy most of the time but not often enough so I guess I do feel a little guilty some of the time. Especially when looking at the belly chubs ;)

Kudos and great post dear.

Heather @ Operation Determination said...

You always seem to have the post I need to hear at just the right time! These ideas sound so do-able and delicious. I have sticky notes all over with your recipes that I want to try. My husband and I even discussed several of your posts and suggestions during our long run today. You inspire me to want to continue to improve!