HomeMy StoryRecipes

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

THE STEP

I wonder where I'd be if I wouldn't have taken that first step back in 2001...

That step into the gym, the one that felt so heavy, 
almost as if the world was resting on my shoulders.

The people around me were going about their normal day and I sat in my parked car for hours.
I was terrified.
Will people stare at me? Will they wonder how that "big girl" will get through the workout?
Will they laugh at my lack of endurance?
Will I collapse and everyone stare and point fingers?
I won't know how to use the machines, will people offer to help or will I stand there, lost?  


As I sat in my car I thought about where I'd be if I had taken this STEP sooner?
No reason to dwell...time to walk in that gym, one foot in front of the other...
HERE WE GO.


...That SINGLE STEP changed my entire life.

I had saved my life.  I was losing weight, feeling good and so thankful that I was brave enough to take that first step...

Years passed and it was time to be brave once again...

Yep, I fell in love, created a family and started to let my health go.
THE one I worked so hard to accomplish.  That first step, did it mean anything anymore?
It was THAT step that allowed me to believe that I was strong enough to take control again and keep working my way toward better health.  It wasn't starting over for me.  It shouldn't be for you either.  It's a journey...
It was time to STEP out again.  This time was less scary because I knew the gym like the back of my head, I graduated with a degree in health and exercise for goodness sake BUT the hard part this time was very different.  

The STEP this time was admitting that I had let go...that I had fallen behind and was ready to catch up again.  

It's tough to admit we lost control but it only proves that we're human.  We have flaws and failure is part of life.  

It's getting back up, continuing to put one foot in front of the other EVERY day.  THIS step was just as difficult but again, it changed my life. 


It was January 2013 and my husband and I decided to run the Commitment Day 5K, promising to make 2013 our healthiest year yet but from the pictures, you can visibly see that it wasn't starting out that way...I had fallen behind once again.  But it was okay because I admitted it and it was time to fight back...
AGAIN!

Today I make STEPS toward my health every day.  
I have to.
It's part of who I am.
I am a symbol of strength and dedication to so many women and I do NOT take that lightly.
I take great pride in being their accountability.  Their symbol of honesty and hope.
I LOVE the journey because it brought me to where I am today.  
THAT FIRST STEP CHANGED THE PATH OF MY LIFE FOREVER!

Who knows where I'd be if I hadn't worked up the courage to get out of the car that day in 2001.  
Yes I've had steps backward 
but that FIRST step assured me that I AM CAPABLE.  I AM STRONG ENOUGH AND I WILL KEEP TAKING STEPS FORWARD.

If you feel down about taking a few steps back or maybe you're afraid to take that very first step toward your journey...REACH DOWN DEEP INSIDE 
and build up the courage to fight for YOU! 

My life wouldn't be what it is today without the million steps I've taken through life.  
I regret none of them because it helped me become who I am today.  
I am a women who understands what failure looks and feels like.  I know about taking steps backward, I've taken them a million times but I also know how beautiful that FIRST step feels.
  
The step that represents SO many things...take it! 
It makes you so incredibly vulnerable just thinking about it but take it anyway!  
You'll NEVER regret it!  

1 comment:

Sweat Is My Sanity said...

Dang I'm so proud of you and in awe...still. Thanks for the encouragement and always motivating and inspiring me. I can't imagine how scary and intimidating that must have been. I get five or ten pounds overweight and have a hard time going to the gym until I don't feel so puffy. You are one incredible woman. Love to see that you're still at it, healthier than ever. Oh how I wish I lived by you and could be part of your group. Dental schools in Texas are almost impossible to get into unless you're a resident, so we didn't even apply there. Instead, we're heading off to New England this summer. Eeek...I'm scared. To be honest, I'm scared that with all the stress of the big move, changes, not knowing anyone, and having Kimball at school 14 hours a day is going to affect my weight. I'll have to keep SO accountable on my blog I guess...and keep reading yours. XO, Jess