HomeMy StoryRecipes

Sunday, May 1, 2011

wheat germ, flaxseed or BOTH?!

If you read my blog, you'll know that I pretty much add flaxseed meal to almost every dish that I prepare! I figure what's the harm in adding omega-3's and fiber to my family's diet, right? :) I have shared that I'll add flaxseed to cereal, oatmeal, breads, pancakes, pasta dishes, sauces, soups and MORE! On the other hand, I have not tried it but I know that there are some benefits to adding wheat germ to your diet as well, and it can be added to most dishes as well!





Source


Benefits of flaxseed:


Omega 3's are the good fats, each tablespoon provides 1.8 grams of plant omega 3's. Fiber, both soluble and insoluble. Flax has been labeled as one of the most powerful plant foods on Earth! Studies have shown by adding flaxseed to your diet, it will reduce your risk for heart disease, cancer, stroke and diabetes. I'm all for that, aren't you?!







Benefits of wheat germ:


Made from a wheat kernel, you can buy wheat germ raw or toasted. Adding wheat germ to your diet, you will be adding iron and calcium, zinc and potassium among other essential nutrients! Wheat germ is a great source of Vitamin B and also contains one of the richest forms of Vitamin E. I think I'd like some added vitamins and minerals to my diet, don't you?!














So, with your cooking...do you use flaxseed, wheat germ or BOTH?? I am thinking now that I know the added benefits of wheat germ, I may try adding to our family diet as well!!









4 comments:

Unknown said...

I think God brought me to your blog! I am also struggling with my weight and after giving birth I have hit the higher triple digits. Reading your blog will inspire me to work towards my goals. I am starting out by revamping my diet. New follower from the Sunday hop! Come see me when you can!
Miriam
http://productjunkiemama.blogspot.com

Chunky Monkey said...

I have used wheat germ for years. Mainly to add that nutty flavor to my cereal and yogurt. It would go well with other dishes...now you have me thinking creatively. Just starting to use flaxseed.

Mommy Minded said...

Both but I use Wheat Germ quite a bit more!

Megan

Amy said...

I use flaxseed more. I have wheat germ, but the package must be like 10 years old. I hardly ever use it. (no specific reason why I don't, I just don't think of it). I guess I figure since we eat a whole lot of whole wheat, it wouldn't be that beneficial.