HomeMy StoryRecipes

Friday, April 29, 2011

Fun, family favorites!



I am always trying to come up with ways to make these silly boys happy and show them that healthy foods truly are delicious and by doing this I've had many recipes that have turned out terrible, but we've found some great ones too! I know it's not successful when my husband gives me that look..."babe, they're gonna hate this one!", then I know!! Like a salmon, broccoli pasta that I attempted...whew it was B.A.D but the ingredients sounded so good?! Whoops.

Two of the favorites right now are grilled cheese with apple! I layer cheese, then THINLY sliced apples(I use granny and gala) even 2 tbs flaxseed and lunch is served with fresh fruit! For a variation, use tortillas, melt cheese, add apple slices and roll up, slice and serve. The boys like these because they are bite-size! Another favorite are my whole wheat pita pizza creations!! I've made several but last night was topped with turkey Italian sausage, mushrooms, olives, broccoli and some mozzarella melted on top! What makes these taste so good? Adding extra virgin olive oil, flaxseed and garlic to the crust! I spread the olive oil, sprinkle flax and freshly chopped garlic and then layer my sauce and toppings!

Weekend Workouts: Today is my day off but tomorrow will be a 5K at hopefully, my fastest time yet! And Sunday, a 5 mile walk to benefit babies born prematurely. We will do this walk as a family, so we're hoping for a pretty day with lots of sunshine :) I need to work on building up my distance, but I get SO nervous when it's time to take the unknown trail or to stay on my normal route...I just need to step up and do it, right? Maybe tomorrow will be that day?! Hmmm

No comments: