HomeMy StoryRecipes

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

by all means, PLAY with your food! (recipe included)

Sometimes, I like to make dinner FUN! My boys will eat their veggies, but thought I'd make the process a little more enjoyable :)
I started by using sauteed string beans for the mouth, broccoli florets for the nose and zucchini and squash for the eyes! The squash was on top of zucchini as the eyeball-get the visual?! *I saute all of my veggies with a sprinkle of garlic salt, pepper and extra virgin olive oil, cover and simmer until slightly tender. For broccoli, I just simmer in a pan with 1 cup water and a little pepper...you can either melt 2% cheese or squeeze lemon on it for extra flavor! The boys thought this was TOO much fun and ate their smiley faces all up!! I had a picture but sadly, my phone was submerged in a glass of water over the weekend and I lost the SIM card and all pictures etc. Very sad but true. I served these Smiley Face Veggies with our turkey burgers! These are so good...

Move It Momma's Turkey Burger Melts
You'll Need: 1lb lean ground turkey, salt, pepper, Louisiana hot sauce(or any other brand!), sliced mozz or provolone cheese, baby bella mushrooms, 2 tbs light brown sugar, 1tbs smart balance margarine and 1/2 purple onion.

Season turkey with 1 tsp salt(I used sea salt), 2 tsp pepper and 1 tbs hot sauce or a little less if you don't like it spicy! Slice onion and in separate skillet, place onion, sugar and margarine at med-high temp and allow to caramelize-stirring occasionally. Cook patties on med heat for about 4 minutes per side until no longer pink. Layer mushrooms, onions and slice of cheese and allow to melt on top! Watch out, these burgers are good and you don't even need those added calories/sugary carbs from the bun!! Serve with veggies and there ya go :) Dinner is served!!!

Today's Workout: 3 mile run with intervals. Intervals did improve my pace/time, so that made me happy! But my legs could sure feel it afterward! I can proudly say that I've lost 7lbs since my running journey began a month ago! It's like I lost majority of my weight years ago and could never quite lose those last few pounds, but now I'm on a roll and NOTHING will stop me!

2 comments:

Katie @ Will Race for Carbs said...

I love intervals! They have made me a much faster runner! I didn't want to do them at first but now I am very glad I did. I went from 10 minute miles to 9 minute miles in about a month and a half. I make sure to do them at least once a week. Thanks for sharing and inspiring!

Anonymous said...

My husband loves turkey burgers and hot sauce so I'll have to check this recipe out!!