HomeMy StoryRecipes

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

food for thought

Is it our job?

Going back to school often means a fresh start!  Learning new things, meeting new teachers, friends and much more!  Is it the job of the parents or the schools to teach about nutrition and health?  Some schools have lost their P.E and health programs across the country and to me, that's awful.  If we are so lucky to have schools that value the importance of healthy living, then is it okay for the parents to fall short and not model healthy behaviors at home?  

In my opinion it's about 90% the responsibility of us, the parents.  We are the ones they look up to and they learn from us long before they go to school.  We set the example of right and wrong...right?  If our children learn about healthy eating and exercise at school, but they come home to junk food and sitting in front of the TV or electronics, what are we saying as their parents?  
*You may agree or disagree but I'd love to hear your thoughts on this issue...



And on a lighter note here are some mouth-watering, healthy recipes to share from HellaWella, 

Chicken Rub/Glaze

  • 4 split chicken breasts (on the ribs, fat removed)
  • ½ cup of olive oil
  • 1 cup of honey
  • 3 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
  • A splash of Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tablespoons of thyme
  • 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
  • Cracked pepper and salt, to taste

1. Combine honey, balsamic vinegar and Worcestershire sauce in a bowl. Stir until well-blended. Set aside half of mixture for later.
2. Drizzle olive oil over rinsed and pat-dried chicken breasts. Rub cracked pepper, salt, garlic powder and thyme over the chicken. Brush on a coating of the glaze mixture. Place chicken on grill, close lid and let it cook for about 35 minutes. Brush on more glaze after 35 minutes.
3. Chicken is ready when the its internal temperature reaches 180 degrees Fahrenheit. (Use a meat thermometer!)
4. Before serving, use a clean brush to glaze the chicken one last time.



Lemon Grilled Shrimp 

  • 24 large shrimp (for less work, get deveined frozen shrimp)
  • ½ cup of lemon juice
  • ½ cup of olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon of chopped parsley
  • 2 cloves of minced garlic
  • 2 teaspoons of lemon rind
  • 2 teaspoons of dry mustard
  • ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
  • Pinch of black pepper

Makes 8 servings.
1. Peel shrimp, leaving on tails, and devein. Put in plastic bag and set in bowl. Stir remaining ingredients. Pour over shrimp and close bag tightly. Squeeze gently to coat shrimp. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2. Remove shrimp, reserving marinade. Cook shrimp on greased grill over medium-hot coals or at medium heat until opaque, brushing over with marinade for 2 minutes on each side until pink and firm to touch.


Watermelon Feta Salad

  • 6 cups of watermelon
  • ½ cup of finely chopped fresh mint
  • 5 ounces to 6 ounces of feta cheese
  • Fresh ground black pepper to taste
  • Fresh lime juice

Serves 6.
1. Chop watermelon into cubes, approximately 1-in. squares.
2. Place in a large mixing bowl and squeeze in the juice from half of a lime. Add fresh ground black pepper to taste.
3. Rinse mint sprigs, remove the leaves from the stem and finely chop the leaves.
4. Toss the mint, lime juice and pepper with the watermelon.
5. Transfer from the mixing bowl to a serving platter where the watermelon can spread out a little.
6. Crumble feta over the melon evenly and serve.

Looks like some great recipes for Labor Day weekend!  It would be a great way to take some of the fat and calories out of a great backyard BBQ!  Just a thought!  
Hope your eating habits are on target and you're looking forward to a great school year, if you've got little ones in school!  I know with my oldest starting kindergarten this year (yes, I'm pretty emotional about it!), I'm taking the time to focus on time management; making meals ahead of time, washing laundry more efficiently and making sure I take some ME time...sometimes I know I just need it to stay sane!  I plan on getting some great workouts in too now that my back seems to be feeling MUCH better!  whew!  

4 comments:

misszippy said...

I agree--it's pretty much our jobs. I just wish the schools would back us up a bit with healthier choices. I pack my kids lunches about 99% of the school year, so I guess that's how we nip it in the bud. But there are people who don't have the time for that, or who depend on gov't. paid lunches and I wish they'd offer healthier choices for these kids. And I wish they would never, ever sell soda or other junk. I guess I have strong opinions on this!

Elle said...

I think it is pretty much up to the parents to teach kids everything they want them to learn these days. Sad maybe, but true.

I am MAKING that chicken. Looks awesome, thanks.

Unknown said...

I home school so it all falls on us! We are to model good behavior. Same for regular school kids. They learn by watching!

Katie @ Will Race for Carbs said...

I was a teacher also so I find this to be an interesting topic. In a perfect world all the parents would teach their kids proper nutrition/importance of exercise...and manners, sex education, etc. etc. But I think we know, as teachers, that it just doesn't happen in some homes. I think schools should try to fill in the gaps if we can. I wish all parents were involved enough or able to teach their kids these important things, and even though it is a parent's responsibility, we shouldn't assume these lessons are taking place at home....unfortunately. Such a shame about cutting PE programs!!! So important!! School funding, oh that is another topic I could go on and on about!!!