Chicken, Black Bean & Lime Burritos
2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and sliced
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 c corn-I used frozen
1 tsp taco seasoning for flavor
1/4 c chopped green pepper
Saute cooked chicken breasts(I made baked chicken the night before and used leftover chicken for this dish-made it easy!) with green pepper, corn, black beans taco seasoning, cover and stir occasionally. Slice one lime into wedges for serving.
*Serving Suggestions: I made the boys burritos and added a little 2% cheese to their taco, rolled it up and served with yogurt and peaches! As for my husband and I, I used 2 ramekin dishes, placed oven at 400 degrees and placed the tortilla over the dish, in a bowl-like position...baked at 400 for about 12 minutes until crispy and the tortilla held the bowl shape.
** Lemon and Lime juice add flavor without added fat, sodium and calories so use your lime wedge and squeeze onto portions, as desired!
Zucchini and Turkey Spaghetti
1 lb ground turkey, cooked
2-3 medium zucchinis, chopped
3/4 jar No Salt Added Tomato Sauce
S&P to taste
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
2-3 cloves of garlic, chopped
Cook ground turkey in skillet until cooked through, set aside. Saute zucchini, garlic, onion, s&p until onions become transparent. Add sauce and allow to heat through, and lastly add the ground turkey and simmer for about 10 min to add flavor.
*Serving Suggestion: This makes a large portion so the first night, I boiled whole wheat pasta or you could use Spaghetti Squash(healthiest version) and serve with this DELICIOUS sauce, it's full of flavor, protein and veggies so the whole family will love it!
Meal #2: The next night, I baked pre-made whole wheat pizza crusts in the oven, layer with the Zucchini and Turkey Sauce, top with 2% mozzarella cheese and bake for about 10 min. just to melt the cheese.
When trying to follow a healthy eating plan, you must stay prepared and have some ingredients on hand, that make quick and easy meals so simple to create!
It will keep you on the right track when it comes to healthy eating and knowing you'll be having these easy go-to meals, you'll leave more room for exercise as a family!!
I know a lot of people in our lives right now, both family and friends that are struggling with weight. Trying to lead a healthier lifestyle and they aren't sure where to begin...
It's a problem so many of us face. Trying to find the BALANCE.
What's the magic answer...I'm not sure. As I've tried to help people, I still can't seem to figure it out.
Here's the best I can explain it,
1. Exercise and Healthy Eating are a lifetime work in progress...in our home we are always finding ways to make adjustments in our eating habits-if we go out to dinner as a family and splurge a little, we kick it back into gear the next day and really push ourselves in that next workout.
2. If you have a really intense, hardcore workout you'll find out that you don't wanna over indulge because you worked SO hard at the gym, outdoors, wherever!
3. You must know that feeling of success will take time. You didn't put the weight on quickly, so unfortunately it won't come off quickly. You get what you put into it.
4. FIND WHAT WORKS FOR YOU! We don't all love running, or Zumba, or elliptical equipment at the gym...we MUST find what works for us, individually.
5. Find friends that enjoy the same workouts as you and form that support system. Ask your family to get involved! It's hard to be successful when it comes to weight loss if it's not a team effort. One is eating healthy while others are stuffing their face with fried and large calorie meals...just not right!
6. Help your loved ones find success, eating healthy should be something the entire family wants and should do. Go for a family walk/run. Go to the park as a family and be active together, it will help make positive memories that will last a lifetime, especially to our children.