HomeMy StoryRecipes

Sunday, August 12, 2012

injured.

So, naturally my husband and I had really kicked up the workouts, the clean eating and then BAM! I did something awful to my back.  It could have been some intense, interval workouts I had been doing, or something as simple as laying out by the pool-since I was in a lounge float throwing the football with my son and husband for hours the other day ??
Two days ago, I started feeling pain in my leg and tightness in my back...
and now I'm practically crawling everywhere I go :-(
I've tried to pin-point exactly where I went wrong, but not sure I even know.  I took the dog for a short walk this morning and could barely make it back to the house.  I've been alternating ice and heat(was suggested to me) and it seems to offer very temporary relief, but for the most part...I'm struggling.  

We have three days of football practice this week and while I'm so excited to watch this boy play, 
I'm worried that sitting outside on the lawn might not be the best thing for me right now...

I am attempting to walk with my friend tomorrow morning, so we'll see if that helps or makes it worse!  I can't stand not being able to exercise...SO I'll do the best I can and if things don't get better soon, I guess I'll be seeing my doctor!  I have to attempt a great walk in the morning, if not I feel helpless not being able to run, spin or do a great cross training workout...argh!!!!

How do YOU deal with injuries?  
Do you push through them or give your body rest when rest is needed?



4 comments:

Unknown said...

oh no! when I hurt my back in december I had to take a month of cardio and it suuuuccckedd! I started doind hot yoga 3x a week. It really helped.

Now I miss the hot yoga and can't wait to figure out how to fit it back in my schedule

Unknown said...

Oh man! I used to power through injury but that is dumb, dumb, dumb I learned. Better to take a short time off now than a much longer time off when you just make the problem worse by trying to exercise through it.

I would find a chiropractor that is licensed in ART (active release technique). That way you would be treated whether the issue is skeletal or muscular. My husband jacked up his back pretty bad maybe a year or so ago, and our chiro did ART on it and it was fixed right away.

Penny said...

I use to push through them, but as I get older and wiser, I dont push through it, because it can take alot longer to recup. If your not better in a few days i would see a chiro or a Dr. to see what is going on.

jillconyers said...

So sorry to hear you're in pain. Take care of yourself :)

There was a time when I would pushed through pain. Now, listen closely to my body and it has served me well :)