HomeMy StoryRecipes

Sunday, August 26, 2012

quick foods and RUNNING!

The other evening after football practice I was totally unprepared, kiddos were hungry and I had to throw something together QUICK!  I grabbed leftover chicken from the grill, sliced and put in a skillet with a pkg of frozen mixed veggies, 2 cups brown rice, and strange as it sounds-a little cumin and chili powder
(just to taste, I don't like a lot of these seasonings-they can be too powerful for my taste buds)  Stirred and served on a tortilla for the boys and my husband and I ate it in a bowl!  It was perfect!  Surprisingly, it had a lot of flavor...




Here's another yummy recipe that I threw together that the whole family enjoyed, but sadly I forgot the pictures;
Mix 1 cup Bisquick Heart Health with one can of drained black beans and 1/4 c water, stir and set aside.
Brown 1lb lean ground turkey and after browned, add 1/2 pkg low sodium taco seasoning
Layer meat mixture over bean mixture, and then top with 1/2 c salsa, spread around and top with 2% cheese.  
Bake at 400 for about 25 minutes or until crust cooks through.  I served this with a huge fruit salad and it was AWESOME!!!



and EXCITING news, 
I RAN.

my proud, goofy picture after my first post-back injury RUN!
Just to be cautious, I start with a mile walking warm up just to loosen my muscles and stretch my back...then I slowly pick up the pace and BAM, I'm running!  
I almost started to cry.  
It had been over 2 weeks of power walking and very little other form of exercise so this was a BIG deal for me!

Having that back injury really put things into perspective.  For one thing, I am not sure how people go without exercising daily.  I mean, I know life gets hectic and sometimes we just don't know where to begin, but seriously...being unable to push myself during workouts was REALLY hard on me.  I had never had that happen.  It was awful and I know it could have been WAY worse.  As I had said before, I had sprained my ankle, broke my foot but would push through and still be able to get a GOOD workout...not with that back injury.  It had me MESSED UP.  It did keep my eating in check since I knew I wasn't burning the calories I was used to.  I LOVE RUNNING!  I'm not sure what I changed in my life going from an inactive, overweight girl that hated to sweat and exercise but it's guaranteed I AM NOT THAT GIRL ANYMORE!!!  AND NEVER WILL BE!!!

Hey, my name is Marissa and I'm back to RUNNING!!!!!!!!!  wooooohooooo!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You are looking hot mama! Congrats on the return to running.

Sweat Is My Sanity said...

Good for you!! Sorry you've had such a big setback...but you seemed to have jumped that hurdle. Sorry I've been MIA...I took a big summer blog break. FYI, I have a different domain address. Sweatismysanity.com I didn't like the message runnintobeskinny.com could send and I didn't get around to renewing my other domain so they're holding it hostage. Just thought you may want to fix the link from when you did the Motivate Me Monday Post. Glad I'm back to reading great blogs like yours. xo, Jessica Washburn