HomeMy StoryRecipes

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

mixing up the first week of school!

My man has officially started kindergarten!  He's one, proud school boy and says his favorite class is P.E...that obviously makes me a happy Momma!


I have signed up to get involved with the PTA/Volunteering at his school and I'm now a member of the school carnival Fun Run committee.  I am super excited since I've always wanted to organize/help coordinate an organized running event.  Since my family has participated in many group runs, this one will sure be even more special to us!  They are opening up the run to the public for the first time, so hopefully there's a big turn out!  Also it's a chipped run, so I'll get some experience on the other side of this!  Wish me luck!  Guess our family better sign up for more runs between now and mid-Oct so that we're prepared!!!  Plus, his principal is a big runner, so he'll think it's cool that she's part of the festivities!!!  



With my first week of us figuring out a crazy schedule filled with sports three days a week and various other commitments, I needed a quick grab-n-go snack and this trail mix is a BIG hit for all of us...
walnuts, almonds, cashews, dried cherries, cranberries, and a sprinkle of chocolate chips!  A great mix of sweet and salty to satisfy those cravings, so I suggest making individual portions, separate them into baggies and there's your quick and HEALTHY snack while on the go!



...and I was surprised with this baby the other day,
I have wanted one of these for a LONG time and so far, it's working great for me!  It's this exact bright yellow one, so you can sure see me coming down the street...LOL!  I have run with it three times this week and that's pretty good since I got it three days ago!  woohoo!  This also means my back is feeling back to normal and that makes me a super happy woman!  Now I gotta focus on kicking up my mileage.  With this hot summer, I had slacked on miles and now it's time to build it back up!  I am hoping to register the family for the Sept 23rd Houston Texans fun run, so I'll keep ya posted...I'm ready to race again, I think my hubby and son are too!!!  

Do you have a favorite trail mix recipe?
I'd love for you to share in the comments...

Do you use a Garmin/TomTom when you run?   
so far mine is working great...I'll keep ya posted on how it continues to work for me!



**Don't allow yourself to get off track if you're on the path to losing weight and getting healthy!  This time of year is difficult with school starting, crazy work/family schedules but keep your eye on your goals!  Don't lose sight of them!  Now is a good time to refresh your goals, meet friends that share the same workout goals and exercise together!  Get involved with group aerobics, boot camp, CrossFit, a running club...anything that gets you motivated and going strong!  I can't tell you how happy it makes me that when I'm out for a run, I see SO many others out doing the same thing...strangely enough, it's so encouraging knowing we are not alone!  Someone else is out there putting forth the effort, pushing themselves and making themselves healthier!  Now let's make ourselves healthy TOGETHER!  If you're still unsure of where to begin-  Ask for help.  Look to people who have struggled and been in your shoes...healthy living is a race without a finish line, so that will leave plenty of room for improvement :-)


1 comment:

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

My son went to kindergarten this year too and he loves recess the best so far! Go figure!