HomeMy StoryRecipes

Thursday, March 21, 2013

because they make you feel good!

I'm talking about healthy foods. Don't they make you feel good? I have some of my favorite eats to share with ya...my secret weapons that get me through the week! Ya know those foods that spice things up when you feel like you're eating the same foods every day!

It's crazy how eating a clean diet can really make you feel AMAZING! The other day my husband and I cheated and ate a few Oreo cookies(ahhhh!!!) and a half piece of our kids homemade pizza-which was SO good! Well, the next day WE FELT IT. Not necessarily the guilt but more the BLOAT! It was crazy the difference! Almost like a food hangover and although that "cheat" wasn't horrible, when you eat very well you feel the little stuff too. Of course it doesn't compare to that feeling when I was unhealthy and I'd hit up the Mexican food, consuming two baskets of chips with queso and a large meal but still...

My workouts have been really good lately, how about yours? tomorrow at noon I am SO excited to go to SPIN CLASS! I haven't been or participated in a spin class since 2006!!! How sad & pathetic is that? I mean, I enjoy my own version on my spin bike in my garage but honestly, it's cheap and not near the effective workout you'd typically get from a REAL class! I can't wait to see if I survive and if it hypes me up and pushes me to teach again like I once did!!!
My son LOVES running club! We had to show our muscles the other day before heading there and his are getting pretty big, i better step it up!! Although it means early mornings twice a week, it's worth it!! I usually run along with him and get a lighter workout in too! I am so thankful that his school has enough interest in the Fun & Fit Club and puts getting kids active as a priority!!!

Some secret weapons that make our clean, healthy eats manageable and interesting:
#1 I have perfected my cauliflower mashed "potatoes"!
And they're SO easy...they make a hearty meal without the calories and carbs! I served these with sirloin steak on the grill, and zucchini.
You'll Need:
Head of cauliflower
5-6 cloves of garlic
1/4c Neufchâtel cheese
Boil the cauliflower, chopped in bigger pieces with the garlic-I don't even chop it, just drop it in! Once it's cooked through, mash it and add 1/4c Neufchâtel cheese and blend well like you're whipping potatoes! SO easy & delicious! Yes, my boys eat healthy but we serve these at least once a week and they e never even questioned if they were not potatoes! Very sneaky ;-)

#2 change up breakfast! yea we all live oatmeal but making it different every once in a while will keep things interesting! if theres one thing I learned it's that you don't want to burnout on foods when its a LIFESTYLE NOT A DIET :-) So if it's an egg kinda morning, We love pairing them with a slice of cinnamon raisin Ezekiel at least once a week to make us feel like we're spoiling ourselves! It's SO good, especially toasted in the toaster oven! This one below is served with 2egg white/1egg omelette mixed with mushrooms, turkey and zucchini.

#3 PREPARE EVERYTHING AHEAD OF TIME!!! This is an easy one, "fail to plan, plan to fail" We now understand how true this statement is!!!!

#4 And lastly, I fell in love with the Starbucks protein box when I'm somewhere without great high protein food options so I try to create my own at home and doing some variations! This one is string cheese, almonds, 1/2 apple and 1/4 Naan bread topped with I serving pb2! Whew, it's so good and filling too! It's a great alternative to those days where you aren't wanting to make a mess in the kitchen and don't feel like eating a large salad with veggies! A nice way to change things up & keep your eats interesting!!!

What are your weekly secret weapons that get you through the week?!

Do you enjoy spin class? If you've never tried it, you should!!!












7 comments:

winston2 said...

what is neufchatel cheese and what is enchilada sauce from another recipie and flax meal

Elizabeth @ livingrunningcooking said...

Stopping by from Fitness Fridays!!
I completely agree with food burnout. I am having a case of oatmeal burnout. I have been experimenting with different breakfasts all week! I tried my hand at an omelet one day this week... it didn't go so well. I did have some success with my toasted English muffin and peanut butter. It was super fast and I stayed full until snack time!

Mommy Run Fast said...

You're such a good mama! I love your cauliflower recipe- garlic is such a great idea. Enjoy spin!!

Coach Jen said...

I love spin class, go 2-3 x week :)

misszippy said...

He's so cute!

My go-tos for hunger are plain Greek yogurt w/ cinnamon and fruit, and a handful of almonds. Sometimes a hard-boiled egg--really keeps you full, surprisingly!

Run with Jess said...

I love SPIN class!! Food prep is always my problem. I would be so skinny if I had a personal chef - cause I like good food - but hate the prep time. ugh. Your son is adorable!

jillconyers said...

My secret weapons are my husband, who is a great cook and willing to do so and Sunday meal prep! They're a must!

I love spinning. It's the only thing I miss about not having a gym membership.