HomeMy StoryRecipes

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Fuel for thought!

If we change our minds from eating just to eat-to eating for fuel, we may notice a huge change! It's what I'm working on...
For example, my family gathers around food. We are Italian so every time there's a birthday, holiday, graduation or wedding-we EAT! I love my family and its how our older generations were raised however, times have changed. Foods are served & packaged in larger portions, we move less and eat more and uh...that should be the opposite :-( we eat more on-the-go meals for lack of time & energy. And then we must think, wow! No wonder we're in so much trouble as a nation. Frightening.

For me, I have a hard time NOT connecting my emotions with my foods. I am learning to really concentrate on eating for FUEL and not eating when I'm happy, bored, sad, or mad :-(

So, this week my goal is to focus on my foods, prepping-which makes clean eating so successful for us, and my workouts which have gone SO well lately!!

*keep your fridge stocked! Pack it with single-serving portions of washed berries, veggies that have been washed and sliced and protein-lots of protein!

What's in ours right now? Grilled chicken breasts, lean ground turkey, hard-boiled eggs, spring mix portioned into ziplock containers, fresh carrots-chopped and peeled, bell pepper-sliced, fresh broccoli-chopped, purple onion for added flavor, baked sweet potatoes, chopped and sautéed zucchini and string beans! Whew that's A LOT of options which means A LOT of ways to stay on track!

*Always stay prepared! Bring snacks on the go, eat for fuel...and shop the outsides of your grocery store! If you can't pronounce the ingredients on packaged foods, chances are...it can't be great for you :-( STICK TO THE BASICS! Lots of ways to make the healthy stuff taste BETTER than the processed junk!

And more go-to foods for us:
Greek yogurt mixed with a little dry Ranch and dipped with locally grown carrots which are SO much better than the small ones! Tried them?! You'll never go back!
Omelette packed with veggies a few times a week?! HECK YES!!! A nice change!
And always room for a good salad! Yum! Pack it with proteins and veggies and you can't go wrong! Your body will thank you for fueling it with the RIGHT foods!
What are your goals for the week?





2 comments:

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

This is a great concept! I'm such a mindless eater. It's something that I think will always take work haha.

Anonymous said...

Great post. I've had a great time not eating for comfort lately. We recently trained ourselves to eat boring and bland. It's made things SIGNIFICANTLY easier. But most people can't eat like that so this is the best advice!