HomeMy StoryRecipes

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

do your surroundings impact your health?

This morning at my son's school running club I ran with a friend who is a personal trainer, group fitness coordinator and instructor, former fitness competitor, a mother and wife!
Whew, she's got quite the title! Her and I ran while talking health and fitness. I was all pumped up talking half marathons, weight training and helping people get healthy. I left "practice" feeling so good, I went on another 4 mile run at home in the neighborhood! So it got me thinking...

Do our surrounding play a factor in our health, fitness and weight loss success?
For me if I'm around healthy eaters, people that workout on a regular basis and push themselves...it encourages me to do the same, or push harder. When I am around junk food junkies and people who don't take exercise seriously, I still love or like that person but will they get in the way of my fitness and health living goals?
As I drove home after talking healthy everything, I LOVED the fact that my husband and I were able to talk with someone else that is SO passionate about health and fitness! Now don't get me wrong, he and I have plenty of support from family and friends when it comes to our lifestyle but sometimes it's nice to totally share the passion, ya know?
I love talking ironman's, marathons, triathlons, although I've never done these it inspires me and I love hearing about others taking on these HUGE physical challenges! It's motivation for me. Ya know?
Sometimes finding the inspiration is half the battle.
So if we're surrounded by negative people, will we fail?
If we surround ourselves with positive people that share the same passions as we do, are we set up for success?

I think we must find BALANCE in all aspects of our lives and part of that is knowing to surround ourselves with positive, supportive people. I was so sad watching BL seeing one of the contestants going home and having to watch the people that they loved most, chowing down on fried, unhealthy foods! What a shame.
Of course people that we LOVE, we love all of them even if they aren't that ROCK or positive person we may need at that moment but in general, if we surround ourselves with goal-driven people who love the things we love, it can't hurt right?
Your thoughts?
*I loved reading all of your comments regarding some of my recent posts...shows me the passion you feel on these important issues as well! If we all stick together, we will create a healthier world!!!

Lots of recent eats! So many times I chow it down and forget to snap a picture!
First one is baked salmon, cauliflower mash and broccoli! It was delicious and EASY!
For the salmon fillets, I baked at 450 for 12 minutes and prepared fish with lemon pepper! SO good, this one was a family hit! And the next day I topped my salad with a salmon fillet so I was prepared and had healthy protein options ready to go!

And that last salad pictured was today's lunch, prepared by my hubby, using leftover turkey meatloaf! It was surprisingly a mix of great flavors! I was shocked because honestly, it didn't sound like a great mix to me! But whew...it was! Which is good because I was starving!!






6 comments:

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

I do th ink the people we surround ourselves with makes a difference. I prefer to have people with healthy habits around so I don't feel like I am constantly having to defend myself.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you got a chance to talk to her. It is hard watching others eat yummy food that we love...so hard! I'm glad that I have a friend who feels the same way about all of this as I do and that we can motivate each other to keep going! Great post Ree!

Anonymous said...

Love your post! And I love those salads... they look delightful! :)

misszippy said...

Glad you have found yourself in a healthier environment. I totally think it makes a difference. Here where I live, everyone is very health conscious. I compare this to where I grew up in rural Ohio and know that I would probably be on an unheathier path had I stayed there. When I go back there to visit family, I am the "health nut" that everyone makes fun of--and I even have to bring lots of my own food. It's frustrating when I'm there so I am grateful I live here!

jillconyers said...

A healthy environment certainly helps! Living in OH I'm, like Amanda mentioned, the health nut. My lunch "weirdness" is a topic of discussion at work, daily! It was so different when I lived in CA! Anyway, I have Chad :)

I think finding that sometimes elusive balance is key to long term success and progress.

Hollie said...

I think that's why I like reading blogs everyday. So many times there is not anyone around my "land of chicken fried" that understands what I'm trying to do. But I am determined. :)