HomeMy StoryRecipes

Friday, March 1, 2013

"kids don't have an obesity problem, parents do..."

Another former Biggest Loser contestant posted that quote yesterday...
Agree or disagree?

I want to give him credit because as I was scrolling through IG, it stopped me and made me truly think.  If you don't follow him and his amazing story of inspiration then you should!  I loved him on the show during his season!  

Do I agree with his statement or not?  Hmmm...
As a parent I think we are obligated to take care of our children.  We must keep them safe, healthy and teach them right from wrong.  
Are we falling short as a parent if we allow junk food into our home? 
Is it the parents fault if the child has two helpings of mashed potatoes at the dinner table?
Or if our child is overweight-are we responsible and should we take full blame?
Such a sensitive issue for so many parents today.  
I am sure there are two sides and I honestly haven't made up my mind how I feel about this...
I can't wait to hear your thoughts and comments.

 Today's Workout:  6 rounds on the bag(boxing) followed by a leg workout with weights via Gaiam TV.  I streamed the workout from my phone in our workout room and used our free weights to increase resistance!  It was a really good workout and I will have to do it more often!  I was drenched!

And when I finally stop worrying about the scale and the pounds falling off, I weighed for the first time today since Monday of last week and guess what?  I lost 2 pounds!  Woohoo!  I'll take that 2 pounds especially when I've freed myself from daily weigh-in's!  It feels great!

Last night's dinner was Kashi roasted veggie pizza topped with MANY extras!  I added purple onion, mushrooms, peas, sugar snap peas and zucchini!  YUM!!  Very filling and tasted great with a side salad!

Today's salad was red leaf and leafy romaine lettuce topped with strawberries, purple onion, a 1/2 lf string cheese cut up, sprinkled sunflower seeds, lemon juice and red wine vinegar for dressing!  Mmmm!  Very good!  I had this salad with 2 scrambled egg whites but ate them prior to snapping the picture...I was HUNGRY!!!  


Part of tonight's meal prepping, I made a pot of cauliflower mashed "potatoes" using a head of cauliflower, 5 cloves of garlic and 2 tbs neufchael cheese!  It has the perfect texture and I boiled the cauliflower with the garlic for lots of flavor, drained the water and added the neufchael cheese!  Whew, it's so good!  I will be serving these with fresh string beans and turkey meatloaves!  Mmmm!  I am also making baked Salmon so we'll see how that turns out.  


And onto a very serious topic that I would love you to support...

My uncle suffered and passed away from ALS.  He was an amazing father and the "FUN" Uncle!  I have so many childhood memories of him and how much fun we all had together.  I was young, but still remember watching this disease take his life.  It was something you'd never want to see a loved one go through.  
We have a dear friend that has a husband battling ALS right now.  He is a loving father and husband who needs to be with his family...to live a long and happy life with them.   

So when I was contacted to help raise funds through running, I knew I had to sign up and get involved...and the best part is that YOU CAN TOO, 


Want to have fun, get fit and help fund a charity?

Now until March 21, every mile you run or walk could generate a $1 donation to Augie’s Quest, an organization that supports treatment research for ALS, or Lou Gehrig’s disease.

Life Fitnessthe leader in quality fitness equipment for health clubs and homes around the world, is teaming up with SoFit, a fitness tracking and rewards app, to encourage users to “run-raise” money. For every mile logged on the SoFit app for Augie’s Quest, Life Fitness and SoFit will each donate $1 in an effort to raise $10,000 in the fight against ALS.

Will you help us? Please help spread the word!

Amazing things can happen when the fitness community comes together! Lending support is easy – just download the free app, go for a walk or run and raise funds to help find a cure for ALS.



5 comments:

Coach Jen said...

I kind of agree with that comment: I think as parents we need to set good examples of healthy living, eat healthy, be active and encourage our kids to do the same from a young age. At some point they make their own choices but we can hope that we taught them well and they can follow :)

jillconyers said...

I agree! Particularly if you're the parents of young kids. It's no ok to allow endless hours of screen time. It's not ok to have a diet of primarily junk. I could go on and on! What's the common link? Parenting.

Can you tell I feel strongly about this? I see kids everyday who have to stop on the first landing when going up just one floor on the stairs. It breaks my heart.

Nadine said...

I completely agree, my kids have treats, but they are just that treats, rare occasions. They crave healthy and want healthy food because that is what they know, and what they have been fed, they're active, becaue they see me being active(in their mind a woman running is a mama- is that not cute?).
So in short, yes I totally agree.

Unknown said...

I agree. Kids only know what they are taught at a young age. Don't parents teach their kids not to touch a hot stove, to not drink bleach, etc? We should also teach them that treats are consumed in moderation, that meals are balanced, that too much of anything, even a good thing, is too much. I do think it needs to be tailored to the kid, and there are a lot of fine lines. The flip side of this issue is lots of little girls with eating disorders. The message needs to be on HEALTH rather than restriction, and we shouldn't deny kids if they are truly hungry. But if I know my kid has had plenty of meat, potatoes, etc, I will guide him away from the box of crackers and to the fruit basket, yogurt, etc. It pays off. He now stops and thinks before he gets a snack and will say something like "well, I've already had a lot of grains today, I should have an apple".

AmyC said...

I agree with the statement. If our kids were sick, we would take them to the doctor. If they are overweight, we should change their diet. Just seems like common sense to me.