HomeMy StoryRecipes

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

HEALTHY taco night!

What family doesn't love a great, taco night?  
I love to cook healthy and create recipes that my family will enjoy TOGETHER,  
So when my five year old asked for tacos, I decided to put my healthy spin on the popular dish!


You'll Need:
1 lb extra lean ground turkey or chicken, I used turkey
1 tbs chili powder
1 tbs cumin
1/2 onion, chopped 
Garnish: 
shredded lettuce, tomatoes, red fat cheddar and/or greek yogurt 

Sides:  
whole wheat couscous with chopped garlic and extra virgin olive oil
black beans with a little chopped cilantro

*store-bought taco seasonings are usually packed with sodium, so by adding cumin and chili powder you are adding flavor without all of the sodium.  Plus, these seasonings make foods taste SO great!

I served these with a crunchy taco shell this time, but I usually serve on a whole wheat soft tortilla and they taste great that way too!  It'll save you on calories plus the added fiber from the soft, but I figure with portion control used at our dinner table, a crunchy taco shell from time to time is okay!  
That decision is up to you and your family!!
I also layered some of the black beans on the taco as well as served on the side!  Yum!

Today's Workout:  A great spin workout in my garage!  
Nothing like getting your sweat on in a garage in Texas at 6am!  Woohoo!  
Yesterday was a great run with my son!  He loves to get out there and sweat just like his Mom and Dad and I cannot tell you how great it feels as a mother and health educator, to see my son out there WANTING and CHOOSING to exercise because it is fun!  That is the main reason that I studied physical education, I wanted to be different.  I wanted to be the teacher that made exercise FUN!  Yes it's hard work and it takes dedication but if someone doesn't love or at least like exercise, they are going to find a million excuses NOT TO EXERCISE...right?  Right!  So by making exercise a family affair and by making it fun and challenging at the same time, we're teaching our children to LOVE exercise!  
Before we had kids, we did the exercise with our dog, Dixie!  She was quite the motivator as well...dragging us on the leash if we didn't pick up the pace :-)  
Animal or kids-they can both be motivational when it comes to our workouts!!!

Do you enjoy taco night as a family?  Healthy variations you'd like to share??

Do you exercise with your kids?  The dog?  





3 comments:

Penny said...

Taco,s look awesome. I will have to give them a try. No my two boys did not like to workout. I'm the only one in this family that does that. Now my hubby would say he get enough working out, by just keeping up with all the farm stuff. Thanks for sharing you recipe

fancy nancy said...

I LOVE taco night!!! We usually have it at my in=laws each week. I seriously look forward to it!

jillconyers said...

We love taco night! And burrito night too! I have a favorite vegan burrito filling that the whole family eats. That doesn't usually happen with my vegan dishes.