HomeMy StoryRecipes

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

She's BACK

Jillian's BACK...and taking on childhood obesity!


The Season 14 premiere (January) will feature, for the first time ever, children ages 13-17 who are overweight/obese.  She will be tackling the issue of childhood obesity and this growing epidemic as she does best...by giving them a reality check that is much needed.  
I love Jillian!  Growing up as an overweight teen herself she's been in their shoes, she has the training to back it up and she's ready to end this problem in America.  

Our children are out of shape, eating over-sized portions, raiding vending machines full of high calorie/high fat items, drinking sugary sodas instead of water and milk, the list goes on and on!  It makes me ANGRY as a parent, former teacher, and as a girl who struggled with weight most of my life.  I'm very glad that Biggest Loser is using its fame and popularity for a great cause.  One that is truly close to my heart and something I strive to teach and help my children with each and every day!  

I want our children and all children to want to lead healthy lifestyles, to be active, to know good vs. not-so-great foods and know portion control-a very big problem with our youth!  We are an active family and I know that if we practice what we preach to them, they will hopefully adapt our behaviors for a lifetime!  It is something our family works on every day and I hope other families will find motivation to do the same through Biggest Loser Season 14!  Can't wait!

What about you...what do you think about Jillian joining BL again to tackle childhood obesity?



Today's Lunch, compliments of Chiquita!  Yummmm...


  • 2   whole Chiquita Bananas (best with brown flecks on peel)
  • 2   cups Ice
  • 1/3   cup Yogurt - preferably Greek yogurt flavored with honey
  • 1/2   cup Cooked oatmeal
  • 1/3   cup Almonds
Today's Workout:  2.5 mile power walk outdoors...and the reason it was 2.5 was because the heat was outta control today!  Yesterday was a great run, just myself and my iPod jamming to Let's Go-Ne Yo and Whistle-Flo Rida!  Whew, it felt good!  

I'm (NOT) patiently waiting for cooler temps, but I'll take ANY workout...because any workout is better than NO workout!  

And will Fall approaching, we are ready to plant our fall garden!  Yay!  The boys have been looking forward to this for months now and we're finally ready!  We are thinking green beans, lettuce, broccoli, zucchini, and maybe some peppers and tomatoes!  I think a garden is a great way to teach your family about healthy eating!  They will love learning about the different fruits and veggies and they'll take pride in eating something they helped grow!  My younger son, the picky eater, enjoys veggies from our garden because he's watched it grow so that definitely makes me happy!  Last fall, he tasted zucchini and green beans from our garden and he now eats them regularly!  Woohoo!  

Fall garden?  Have you ever planted a garden?  It's a great thing to create as a family...give it a try!  There are TONS of websites that will show you what will grow best in your climate, so enjoy and have fun growing healthy foods with your family this season :-)

4 comments:

misszippy said...

I think it's great. Clearly she has a method that works, and I'd guess that would carry over to kids, too.

I wish I could plant a garden but I have the world's shadiest lawn!

fancy nancy said...

I think its great that she is coming back and a topic that American children need to know about!! I'm sure she will take a slightly softer approach with them...however maybe not!

Elle said...

So glad to see BL taking a turn toward health and away from 'the game' of the past few seasons. I am so glad to see JM back and think she will do a good job with the kids... she's been there.

Sweat Is My Sanity said...

I get as riled up as you do about our obesity problem, especially when it comes to kids. It's hard enough to be a kid without starting out w/ extra pounds to lose, which we all know is SO hard to do. I love Jillian and I think she's the best person for the job. That smoothie looks amazing. I don't have a garden, hopefully I will next year when we move.