HomeMy StoryRecipes

Sunday, July 29, 2012

something to think about

I can remember like it was yesterday,

I'd get dressed, hit the gym, stay for 30 minutes (barely breaking a sweat) on the treadmill at a low speed HOLDING ON just waiting for it to be over.  I'd leave the gym, drive to the nearest fast food restaurant and I'd think to myself, "I deserve junk food now".  I had done my part by going to the gym right?  WRONG.  SO WRONG.  

Unfortunately I didn't know any better.  Well I'd like to think I didn't know better but deep down I knew it was NOT the healthiest way to live and I wasn't going to change my life by putting forth little effort.  But who was stopping me?  I wasn't holding myself accountable at all.  Why did I need someone else telling me right from wrong?  I was allowing food to control EVERYTHING in my life.  I would workout (if you'd even call it that) and then go straight back to my comfort zone...food.  Ugh, such a vicious cycle.  I've even seen people put forth the effort in the gym, pushing themselves HARD and then throwing it all away by consuming a 2,000 calorie lunch.  That's like pushing yourself for NOTHING.  That 2,000 calorie, high fat meal just landed them right back to the unhealthy place they started from.  Yuck.  

After changing my life, I would watch others in the gym as they'd workout.  Some would push themselves to extremes while others put forth little effort but show up every day yet see NO results.  Why was that?  Why do some treat it like it's the Olympics and every second counts while others treat it like brushing their teeth-they go, they stay long enough, they don't sweat, they go home.  ??  Almost like they are thinking, "Whew, got that out of the way"

What pushes you during a workout?
For me it's knowing where I came from.  Never wanting to go back to that place AND knowing how great I feel after an awesome workout!  It's a feeling like no other and it helps you make healthy choices throughout the day.  It's knowing my children watch us as we exercise and they see if we're putting forth every ounce of effort.  We are their role models in life, so we must show them what a healthy lifestyle looks like-not just tell them.  

Although I miss my gym membership, working out at home seems to work for me.  I will push myself hard knowing it's the only exercise I'll be getting so I better make it count.  When it's a run, I push myself and if it's in my living room, I push myself.  My boys joined me in my workout this morning, asking questions and pushing themselves saying they wanted to be strong and healthy too ( a very proud Mommy moment for sure!!)

Ok, Your turn
Why do you think some of us struggle finding motivation and some of us, it seems to come naturally?


What's for dinner tonight??


This recipe looks delicious from blisstree.com   I usually save my pumpkin recipes for Fall but I'm thinking the natural pumpkin sweetness will make these burritos even more DELICIOUS!!!

3 comments:

Elle said...

I think my motivation is similar to yours... have been heavy and out of shape and I don't want to be that again!

That burrito looks good! I have never eaten a burrito.

Mommy Minded said...

I needed this post today. Thank you for all that you do. I am going to go break in my new jump rope! ;)

Mommy Minded said...

I have a couple of questions for you, my running bloggy friend.

I run on my tip toes, I dont realize that I do it until I wake up with shins that feel like tooth picks. Do you have any tips for fixing your running posture?

Also, when you started, did you use a running plan?