- Be prepared-Never go to the grocery store TIRED or HUNGRY. Being tired will result in you shopping for a quick fix meal, little effort and you'll end up with a lot of processed foods. If you're hungry, you'll shop for the craving/trigger foods and not for quality and nutrients.
- Set REALISTIC goals-Start small and set goals that are within reach. What do you want out of this new lifestyle? How will you celebrate your successes? WHY DO YOU WANT THIS?!
- Find and recognize your "trigger" foods or weaknesses. What foods make you lose control? My example was pretzels, I love them and will eat the whole bag if possible. So, instead I buy a small bag, give in to the temptation once in a while and then they are gone, they do NOT enter my home!
- Find BALANCE!-it's not about "Can I have this?" or "I can't eat that", it's about BALANCE. Finding a way to understand moderation and how to control it, and also finding what works for YOU. We are all different and relate to foods and exercise differently.
- Surround yourself with positive people!-If you are looking to make a healthy change, surround yourself with the people that will encourage, not discourage you! You are in control of YOUR life and when people try to influence you in a negative way, it only sets you further away from your goal and what you want out of this lifestyle change.
- Do NOT be afraid to ask for help and support!- Reach out to those people that can and will help you. Find a workout buddy. Or just someone you can call and share your frustrations, successes, etc. It WILL make this journey easier.
- IF YOU BITE IT, WRITE IT! Start a journal and track your foods. It will make you aware of what you're eating and hold you accountable or use, MyFitnessPal.com
Are you making positive changes in your life? What REALISTIC goals have you set for yourself this year? Personally, I like to have an exercise goal, so I can see the results and focus on that upcoming challenge. What about you?
**BELOW is a comment I received this morning, in regards to our first meeting last night...I am SO beyond thrilled that my passion reached her and seemed to give her HOPE:
Marissa - The class was great! - I finally understand how to read a nutritional label and choose what's good for me. The best comment made all night was that "each person is different and needs to find what works for them." Believe me, I've tried every diet imaginable, even hypnosis - I had a quick fix for awhile and then gained more weight than before. I left this class with HOPE - and the understanding that I'm not dieting but changing my lifestyle! Can't wait for the next class