HomeMy StoryRecipes

Sunday, January 22, 2012

another goal?

Look at that hair flying everywhere! 
 Man, I sure look graceful headed to that finish line! Ha!


So, what do I do after completing 13.1 miles in the Aramco Houston Half Marathon?  
Set another goal, of course!

But what?  So, I'm thinking possibly a 10K!  Sadly, I have never done that.

I love 5K's, I think they are so much fun and the atmosphere is so great!  Especially with the local races and you're able to see such enthusiasm for exercise within your community! LOVE THAT!

Until now, I was always afraid of 10K's...not even sure why!  But I think it's time to tackle that goal and erase that fear?!  Why not, right?  My five year old is ready for another kids' K, so I'll be on the lookout for a great race that'll be coming soon.  What about you, upcoming February goals?
We have recently moved and I have been able to run 3 times in our new neighborhood and I LOVE IT.  There are SO many runners/walkers and active families out here.  It's great to watch the golfers on the course and I feel the positive energy as I run.  

Although I was pretty bummed (and still am) with my half marathon finish time, I am now able to reflect on where I went wrong and how I can improve for the next race.  I was VERY under prepared and I'm okay admitting that.  At the same time, I do NOT feel defeated.  I accomplished my goal of FINISHING and that should mean something, right?!

As for food, we have been ADDICTED to a new salad creation...  
Spring Mix
sprinkle of unsalted sunflower seeds
flaxseed meal
toasted almonds
mandarin oranges
...and your protein of choice!  I use my garlic chicken...Mmm SO GOOD!

This is a great go-to meal when you just don't feel like cooking!


6 comments:

Laura Boll said...

A 10k is a great idea! You're already trained for it, and you can enjoy knowing you've done twice the distance. Mmmm, that salad sounds so good!

cooperl788 said...

A 10k would be awesome! You can definitely do it, and the training would probably be lots of fun, especially after training for something much longer. As far as my Feb goals, I'm mostly just trying to do the same as before - maintain my weight, keep up the workout (at least 3x per week), and eat healthfully at least 90% of the time. With the move and everything, I'm a little fearful of attempting anything loftier right now. :)

kimert said...

I like the goal of a 10k! My first race after my first half marathon was my first 10k. LOL I think it is hilarious that I ran a half marathon before I ever ran a 10k!

Unknown said...

um your time is smokin! WOW! I just completed a 10K(my 1st) on Sat and I finished in 1 hour and 4 minutes. I thought that was pretty good but I run a consistent 10 minute mile so there you have it!

Unknown said...

I just did one 10k that summer, and I was also super nervous. At the time, I think I had maybe done an 8 mile run, and a few 6-7 mile runs, but was nervous on how to really pace myself. I forced myself to not set out too fast (like in 5k's I end up starting out under 8 min pace, despite my best efforts to reign it in). I was hoping to keep around 9:30 pace, but did the first mile at 8:42, and when everyone settled in, set my sights on a woman just a few paces up. We didn't talk, just ran side by side the whole race, keeping a steady pace. I ditched her the last quarter mile when I saw the end in sight and came in under 55 minutes. I never would have thought that was possible, and the woman crossed the line a minute later and thanked me for keeping her pace up! I thought she was keeping my pace up! So find someone that seems to be about your speed after the first mile and set it on cruise control - you'll do great.

Unknown said...

I look up to anyone who is good at running! I'm sure you'll do great! I'm following from the Welcome Wednesday & I'd love you to come by my blog & follow along too! I'm also hosting my first giveaway...enter to win a free My Memories Digital Scrapbooking Program!
Sally
loveofhomes.blogspot.com