HomeMy StoryRecipes

Sunday, January 1, 2012

2012 is here...let's get moving!

New Year's Eve started out with a great 5K with my boys!  Temps were in the 70's yesterday, so please excuse all of the sweat...eww!  
This morning was a 5 mile run, but I am upset with myself because I don't think I am ready for this half marathon in 14 days!  Scares me, but I will do it.  If I'm crawling to the finish line, so be it!  I have set a goal for myself and I will NOT back down. 

 It will be an emotional race for me.  Thinking of all of the times I felt like I wasn't worth anything.  Feeling like I couldn't do something like this.  I never felt good enough for my father, which I think had an impact on my life and my weight gain.  I guess I always wanted to be worth his time and I never was. I wanted things to be like in the movies, where the father has a child and loves that child SO much that he changes his entire life for them.  That father lives his life for his children and they all live happily ever after.  But that isn't like it is at all, right?  Right.  But I've always said, I will NOT make excuses for what I had done to myself and how far I had let my weight get out of control. 
 I now know how to take those feelings and put them into my workouts!  
And that is a great feeling, a feeling like no other!
Is working out a stress relief for YOU?



These two boys are what keep me going with my runs.  I push for myself and for them.  I want them to see what healthy living looks like, so hopefully one day they'll wanna model those positive behaviors!  
Eat Better America has just posted a "Portion Size Pocket Guide" printable to help you keep your portions in control!  It's a great visual to have on hand while trying to make some healthy food choices!  Portion sizes are a huge issue in terms of healthy eating, because all foods are served in MUCH larger portions than they should be.  Once you take a look at an actual portion, you'll be amazed!  There is also a link to share with friends via email, so take advantage and send this visual to your family and friends!  
Healthy Recipes can be found on some of my favorite websites- Eat Better America, Kraft Diabetes website, Cooking Light and Eating Well.  I have plans to share MANY healthy recipes in the very near future.  We are in the process of moving into our new house, so after the half marathon, expect Move It Momma to really step it up!  Hang in there!  
Are you on the wagon to healthy living for 2012?  I hate to depend on the New Year to help a lot of people reach their health and fitness goals, but the truth is that it's out there loud and clear this time of year.  It's in our face everywhere we go right now...the gym, television, internet, advertisements!  Take advantage of those great deals and make 2012 your HEALTHIEST year!  

8 comments:

Megan said...

Thanks for the link to that portion size guide! It's a good thing to keep handy, that's for sure!

kimert said...

14 days til your half!?!?! WOW! Can't wait for that. You are going to rock it. Thanks for the link!!! Very helpful indeed. Happy New YEar!

Christy J said...

Good luck on your half!

jillconyers said...

Working out and running is pretty much a no fail stress relief. There have been times when my husband will say, "go for a run". Even he knows it will work :)

Happy and healthy new year to you!

Anonymous said...

I'm excited for you to run your half! Those family dynamics can have such a long lasting impact... like you said, it's your choices now, but it's still an important part of your story. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Good luck on the half - just take it easy and try to not do anything for at least two days before the race - you'll have so much energy from not working out + nervous energy + excitement from the crowd, you'll do better than you think. I was surprised at the pace I was keeping before my knee pain kicked in. Have you seen anyone about your back? I'm not a chiro fan, but the one I go to is also licensed in other sports therapy techniques - Active Release and Graston. He's been amazing.

Elle said...

I think you are an amazing role model for your kids.

Good luck with your half. Will be so eager to read about it... we are just starting to train for our first one.

Happy Feet 26.2 said...

portions are depressing so I run, and run, and run

yes, I run to eat, and I run for stress relief, I run to see the beauty and zen all around, I run for calmness. etc. etc etc.

thanks for sharing.