HomeMy StoryRecipes

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Let's GO BANANAS!


Normally bananas are not my fruit of choice, but my boys and husband love them so I thought while we have bananas in the house, I might as well try some fun smoothies using some of them!  
Here's a few on the list to try...what do ya think?

Banana Oatmeal Smoothie
  • 2   whole bananas
  • 2   cups Ice
  • 1/3   cup Yogurt - preferably Greek yogurt flavored with honey
  • 1/2   cup Cooked oatmeal
  • 1/3   cup Almonds

PB and Banana Smoothie
  • 2   whole bananas-peeled and sliced
  • 1   (6-oz.) carton non-fat Vanilla yogurt
  • 1/3   cup creamy Peanut butter
  • 1/2   cup non-fat Milk

Energy Boosting Banana Smoothie

  • 2   whole bananas
  • 3   cups Ice
  • 1   cup Milk OR Vanilla Yogurt
  • 1/2   whole Lemon to squeeze
  • 1   Tbsp. Honey


And while we're talking BANANAS, 
here's a cool program offered by Dole:

"Dole’s mission to increase America’s nutritional health through greater fruit and vegetable consumption and to reverse a number of negative health trends, among them poor diet and inadequate exercise as the leading causes of preventable death.


·        Dole is issuing a unique way to eat or use bananas every day in 2012.  Developed in partnership with Dole Nutrition Institute chefs and registered dieticians (RDs), the daily "tips" range from recipes to seasonal serving suggestions to fun trivia and non-food uses themed to specific holidays and dates.

·        Banana fans can receive the daily tips via Twitter or Facebook, or by visiting the DOLE Bananas website at www.dole.com/bananas.  To receive the 366 ways by Twitter or Facebook, go to @DOLEBananas (hashtag #366Bananas) or www.facebook.com/dolebananas, respectively. 

·        As the top-selling item in the supermarket, bananas are one of the most economical ways for Americans to increase their daily fruit intake.  Dole is the #1 banana brand in the world."
What's your favorite way to eat a banana?


Yesterday's Workout:  was a five-mile run in the neighborhood, jamming to my playlist that I had created for the Aramco Half...man, I did pretty good with it, because there's some great songs on there!  Today will be a short run combined with Jillian's 6 week 6 pack, because when my husband gets home from work, he's gotta get a long run in for his 
Mardi Gras Half in Galveston THIS weekend!

I need your help with some sign ideas!  I want to make some signs to for my husband this weekend and need your help...as you've run races, what's the coolest/cutest sign you've seen on the road?  I wanna get our boys involved too, I think they'll like making Daddy a sign to cheer him on :-)

 *Don't forget to sign-up and spread the word about the Spring Fever virtual 10K and 5K races, to be held March 1-15th!  If you'd like to participate, just send me an email to rissarose80@yahoo.com telling me you're ready to join in!  That's it!  Then you will race, get back to me with your finish time and you'll be entered to win some great prizes!  I've had some readers who have tweeted about the race and posted to Facebook...that is GREATLY appreciated, thank you!!

3 comments:

Laura Boll said...

I love bananas in smoothies, but usually mixed with other fruit like blueberries so it's not too banana-flavored...the pb one looks great! Hmm, the signs that always stand out to me are the silly ones, like "worst parade ever" but I wouldn't recommend that for your husband... I'd probably do the standard GO (fill-in-his-name) or "Run, Daddy, Run"! Have fun!

April Westerhold said...

I LOVE bananas. I was talking to my friend today and told her that I eat a banana every day for breakfast. I am going to try all of these!

Christy J said...

I eat a banana every day, but nothing fancy for me moat days. I do love to toast a bagel thin, spread PB on it while it is still warm and top with very thin slices of banana...yum!