HomeMy StoryRecipes

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Inspiration from a friend!


A few weeks ago, I was featured on the Houston Marathon Committee page on my weight loss, healthy lifestyle commitment and my goals for the upcoming race.  As you all know, I will be racing with my husband on our 7 year wedding anniversary!  Yay!  BUT, he is much faster than me with a pace of about 8:10/mile and I'm about 10:30/mile, therefore we will not be racing side by side but we WILL cross that same finish line that day!  Good news is that I have a great friend of mine, running with ME on race day!  We have decided to race TOGETHER and cross that finish line TOGETHER!  She is an aerobic instructor and from the moment I met her, we clicked and I knew we'd be friends for life!  Christine, like myself, has struggled with weight for most of her life.  We share the same fears, hopes, struggles, and self-esteem issues but something else that we share is our passion for exercise!  Working out to feel good!  She is SO inspiring and such a great person to be around!  She's goofy and loves to have FUN..and of course, I do too!  Her battle with Cancer, going on two years now, shows her STRENGTH and DETERMINATION and I'd like to share her story with all of you, compliments of her feature on the committee page!
Her Story, (From the Houston Marathon Committee):
Occupation: Aerobics Instruction and Registered Nurse
"Christine will be running the Aramco Houston Half Marathon to prove to herself that she can do anything she sets her mind to. Christine was diagnosed with breast cancer two years ago. To combat this, she underwent a bilateral mastectomy and eight rounds of chemotherapy.
Christine has been able to stay in shape; keeping active throughout the day as an aerobics instructor. However, she wanted to challenge her body in a different way and running is something she has always wanted to try. She says the training has allowed her to focus on something other than the breast cancer treatments.  During her runs she loves to listen to music and move with the rhythms. One of her favorite pump up songs is, I will survive.
Running has also impacted her overall health. Prior to the start of her training, Christine weighed 240 pounds. Running has helped her lose 100 pounds, bringing her down to a steady 140 pounds.
Christine has one goal for the race–to finish. She will have a huge support system present to cheer her on, including family, friends and many of her past and present aerobic students. Not only running for self-accomplishment, Christine is running the Aramco Houston Half Marathon in memory of her aunt. Her aunt, who recently passed away from cancer, had planned on being at the finish line to cheer her on!"
Christine and I are determined to set future race goals together as well!  We are already talking about doing a triathlon!  My husband and I, Christine and her hubby will be attending the EXPO, the day before the race, together!  We are excited to be in a room with so much energy and motivation, the day before the big race!  I can't believe it is finally here, only 7 days to go!  I have asked family and friends to attend the race for support, so hopefully we have some love on the course, the 15th!  
Today's Workout:  5.52 miles in 59:50.  Avg. pace 10:50/mile.  Burned 812 calories, so let's hope I meet or exceed the goal of 2hrs. 30min on race day!
Do you have a family member or friend that inspires you?  
I'd love to hear their story!  As always, I am inspired by all of you :-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i am inspired by you. i don't have family nor friends who like to run...so i find my inspiration in blogland.

Elle said...

You and Christine are gonna be GREAT! How nice that you have a friend to run the whole way with.

Getting excited now!

kimert said...

This is so awesome! I can't wait to hear how you do. LOVE that you have someone there to cross that finish line with.
inspiration- YOU are an inspiration. keep up the great work!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to hear how the race goes! I'll be at the expo that morning too... I know it will be huge, but I'll keep an eye out for you. :)