HomeMy StoryRecipes

Thursday, March 24, 2011

FRESH fruits and veggies!

Do you have local farmer's markets in your area?! We took a short drive yesterday to one of our local farm's and now that Spring is officially here, you should have seen the variety of fruits and veggies!

The boys picked strawberries, they were eating them straight out of the bucket :)

We bought TONS of fruit and veggies, made some chicken on the grill and prepared some fresh string beans, squash and zucchini along with a HUGE fruit salad filled with plums, grapes, banana, strawberries, granny smith apples, kiwi and nectarines! Talk about YUMMY!

If you have a local market, I suggest you go there as a family. Let your children explore and find the fruits and veggies they find interesting, teach them about each one, and maybe even get them to try something NEW. My boys were so excited to learn where all these veggies grew, how they were planted...so, we decided to plant a garden full of okra, string beans, tomatoes, eggplant, squash, herbs, and even strawberries!
*Now let's hope they take off and we have LOTS of our own fruits and veggies this summer :)

Running:
I am taking the day off-whew its hot out there, already 80 degrees and its only 10am! Tomorrow I am going for a five mile day, we'll see if all goes according to the plan! I am enjoying running on my own, before my kiddos wake up...it feels like "ME" time and its a way for me to start the day!! And I'm happy to report I've lost three pounds since starting this journey last week :)

6 comments:

M.O.T.B said...

Good for you!! I often think about getting up before the boys to run, but that would mean I would be running at 5 am. Seriously I need you to call me and motivate me:)

April Westerhold said...

I can't wait to take the kids to the Farmer's Market. We have a huge one in downtown STL. There are also produce co-ops and I am going to join one of them. Glad you are getting to run on your own!

Kristen said...

We have many in Connecticut, they just aren't open yet! I cannot wait to go and get fresh produce for my daughter, I'm going to make baby food for her

Unknown said...

Way to go on the weight loss. I haven't really lost ANY since I started running. Boo!

My Fitness World said...

I'm sending you The Stylish Blogger Award. Visit my blog to pick up your button.
My Fitness World

Carly said...

Congrats on the weight loss! I wish I had a local farmer's market near me that was around regularly. We do have local farms that are about a 20 min trip that my mom and I go to in the summer. Come on summer!